[PLUG] How to confirm OSS support before hardward purchase?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Sep 11 21:15:21 UTC 2006

>>>>> "alan" == alan  <alan at clueserver.org> writes:

alan> Wireless cards are sometimes a pain.  Depends on the chipset.
alan> The MadWifi drivers cover a number that are not supported out of
alan> the box.

MadWifi drivers support Atheros chipset radios, except USB, which it
doesn't support.

Personal Telco uses madwifi a lot on the Mississippi Grant Project,
and have a love/hate relationship with it.  By and large, it works
pretty well but has its faults.  The developers suck on the
manufacturer's toes a little too much for my tastes, they are totally
dependent on Atheros to release a binary HAL to let it work,
madwifi-ng has had a tendency to kernel panic if you ifdown/ifup too
much, etc.

I use the older madwifi on my laptop (with an atheros a/b/g card) and
it is pretty stable.

seniorr at aracnet.com