[PLUG] WiFi, WPA on G3 Powerbook, Ubuntu 6.06

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 05:47:46 UTC 2006

Hey folks-

I tried to send a fairly big message with some txt dumps right in the
message body, but it bounced because the mailserv thought it was spam.  So,
should I attach the dumps as .txt files or will those get rejected too?
(just some CLI output, and a couple config files).

Also, any hints on how to avoid being bounced?  Keywords, punctuation, etc?

Anyway, here is the first part of the message before the dumps...
----

I have a Powerbook G3/400mhz/320MB "Lombard" running Ubuntu 6.06.

This one did not have airport capability so I have a Belkin 54G wireless
card.  The card works fine with the laptop in OS X.
Only problem is, and I'm not sure if it's hw or sw related, it will
disconnect at seemingly random intervals in OS X.
More than likely it is the driver, which is 3rd party and not "blessed" by
Apple so YMMV... anyway...

So, I swapped out the HD and put Ubuntu on a new drive.
Works quite well for its age, still has a nice crisp 14" LCD, DVD/CD, etc
etc, runs GNOME decently.

I'm having problems getting WPA working.
I tried the Ubunto forums, so far the stuff I have seen on there has not
helped.

Here is a snippet of output when I run wpa_supplicant on CLI with -d for
verbose debug.
I don't know what is up with the PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD stuff, I don't have
anything set for HOSTAP...?
The part further down about "wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: [blah blah] ...
Failed to set encryption." looks like it could be part of the problem,
though I'm not sure where it could be going wrong.
In my wpa_supplicant.conf I have the WPA key copied exactly as it is shown
in the router config (Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT),
and also a version of it passed through wpa_passphrase, and neither one
works (alternating by comment "#" out one at a time).

Oh yes WPA works with Mac OS X and Winders (on different machine) so its
probably not the router.