[PLUG] debian net-install media for modern hardware

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 06:50:15 UTC 2006

# from Russell Senior
# on Tuesday 12 September 2006 06:42 pm:

>debian netinst.iso, it
>failed to discover or recognize the intel GigE NIC, which is going to
>make the rest of the net-install a little, er, interesting.

There's been a fair amount of churn lately.  You probably want to grab a
more modern installer.  While we're talking modern, maybe give the
memory stick boot a shot:

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s04.html

I seem to have zero notes on what I did to get my own stick going, so it
must have been fairly painless -- well, something about not actually
need an iso image on it.  I know I did the "hard way" instructions
because I was using 128MB stick.  IIRC, I grabbed a tarball out of the
installer maze or maybe mounted an ISO and copied stuff from that.

For extra points, figure out how to add an /etc/hosts entry on the stick
for your apt-proxy server and report back.

--Eric
--
The first rule of Debian is you don't talk about Debian