[PLUG] PCMCIA CF / SD card reader suggestions?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 19:41:11 UTC 2006

On 9/15/06, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> Alan Olsen wrote:
> > On 9/11/06, Dan Young <danielmyoung at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In my experience, you won't find a PCMCIA card w/ both CF and SD,
> >> given the size of CF.
> >>
> >> I got an CF to PCMCIA for my wife and she leaves it in all the time.
> >> Since it's flush w/ the computer, you have to pop it out to get the CF
> >> card back out. They are extremely simple (just an "unpowered plug
> >> adapter" according to wikipedia).
> >>
> >> Dunno about SD -> PCMCIA. If you could find a Type 2, you could stack
> >> them in your PCMCIA slots.
> >
> > There are also a bunch of SD -> USB adaptors out there that function like
> > USB storage.
>
> I picked up a random 18$ 211231252352436-in-1 external card reader at my local
> computer store (ENU to be exact). Works out of the box. Maybe not as handy as
> the pcmcia reader (it has a cable, how archeaic!) but it works OOTB.

I'm pretty confident I could plug in pretty much any usb CF reader and
have it work in moments (my camera acts just like a cf reader, and it
works) but I'm specifically looking for something that will not take
up additional space, and a flush pcmcia solution would be perfect.

It looks as though I'll just end up buying one that looks reasonable
from newegg and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Rogan