[PLUG] Forcing Gentoo package check

Brian Harring ferringb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 04:06:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:38:33PM -0400, znmeb at cesmail.net wrote:
> Quoting Brian Harring <ferringb at gmail.com>:
> > Won't pick up slotted updates offhand; also, I'd personally just feed
> > the list directly to emerge instead of invoking it each time.
> >
> > For resolving, portage has to load up the old style virtuals- to do
> > this, it has to walk the entire vdb, so your scriptlet above is in
> > effect a N^2 walk of the vdb (ouch).
> >
> > ~harring
>
> Depending on how many packages you have, you might be better off doing
>
> emerge --sync; emerge -ev world
>
> which essentially figures out the whole dependency tree and recompiles
> everything from the leaves up to the root.

Leaves being defined as what is in world; it's actually _not_ every
package on the system, since you can have packages not in world
(emerge --oneshot or ebuild /path/to/ebuild usage), or have the
resultant 'empty' graph from the tree no longer including nodes in
the vdb.

Example of the latter would be that you had pkg x-1 merged which
needed y, x-2 no longer needs y thus y doesn't show up in the graph
unless you've forced it into the world file yourself.

~harring