[PLUG] emule site problems...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 19:46:15 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, plug_0 at robinson-west.com <plug_0 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> http://content.emule-project.net/view.php?pid=1519
>
> I can't figure out how to get Freedos 1.0 under Fedora Core 5 using this site.
> It requires a special downloader.

Yeah.. it requires an eDonkey client (hence the ed2k:// uri..), of
which eMule is one of many, and it appears that eMule is windows-only.

> There don't appear to be any instructions
> to compile this downloader under Linux let alone any rpm releases, which is
> strange considering that the software is supposedly GPL'ed.  It's irritating
> that MS Windows systems are the only ones listed as compatible platforms.
> MacOS-X doesn't even appear to be listed as a compatible platform.

There is *nothing* about the GPL which requires (or even suggests)
multi-OS releases.  Porting is a lot of work, especially if you don't
personally use the platform you're porting to.

> What is wrong with the standard methods of downloading large software packages
> that have made the e-mule downloader necessary?

Bandwith.  eMule is one of a number of peer-to-peer networking clients
that allow the bandwith hit to be spread across many voulnteer
connections.  The groups that create and (initially) host projects
such as freedos or other distros have to pay for their bandwith usage
some how, and since they aren't making loads of cash through the
effort of compiling these tools / OSes, they've wisely opted for a
distribution mechanism that most people are perfectly happy with,
often produces faster download speeds, is far more robust, and it's
much, much cheaper.

> What is up with me not being to download a copy of Freedos 1.0 from ibiblio
> without corrupting it?  Lately, I can't even start a download from ibiblio.
> It is as if I got blacklisted.

No idea...