[PLUG] Newly assembled machine overheating

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 00:12:40 UTC 2006

Galen Seitz wrote:

>Assuming that the 45 degree temperature is at the chip, that's not
>very hot at all.  For example, the max die temperature for the
>XP Processor Model 10 with 256K L2 Cache is 85 degrees C for the 2200+
>model.  BTW, I can tell you from personal experience that an IC
>package at 90 degrees C will burn your finger.

<...>

>Double check your alarm settings.  45 degrees C is too low for a chip
>overtemperature alarm.

My mistake. The Anti Burn Regulator setting is the Default of 85 deg C,
no 45. As I type this, I'm watching the temperature and fan speed change
in the BIOS display. The CPU Temp. External is stable at 36 C / 96 F.
The CHA Temperature is stable at 25 C / 77 F. The CPU Temp. On Die was
fluctuating between 42 C and 43 C / 109 F, but is now up to 44 C / 111
F. The speed of CPUFAN1 is varying between 2766 RPM and 2812 RPM.

I'll try again and see how far I get before an alarm goes off.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens