[PLUG] Newly assembled machine overheating

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 02:48:14 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>> The installation has going along fine for about an hour. But I have the
>> side of the case off. That leads me to wonder if somehow airflow through
>> the case is the problem. Would it make any sense to turn one of the case
>> fans around so that it exhausts the case?
>

>   Yes. I thought that they were set up that way.

Oops. I put my hand near each and it felt as if the air was blowing on
my hand. I did the strip of paper test and found that the front fan
blows in, and the back fan blows out.

I guess that's not the problem.

The installation did finish, although it has it's own problem: GRUB
Error 18. Apparently this is something that happens when installing to a
disk drive that has existing partitions on it. The simple solution is to
erase all the partitions and start over. While not elegant, it will
allow me to correct one or two mistakes I made during the installation
process.

Other than quitting at Error 18, the machine has been running fine with
the side off the case.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens