Resolved: [PLUG] Newly assembled machine overheating

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 21:35:39 UTC 2006

Thank you to all who offered ideas about what could be causing the Anti
Burn Regulator alarm to sound on my mother board. It appears that the
problem was the grease. When I removed the heat sink there was no grease
on the chip, and there was an empty rectangle about the size of the chip
surrounded by grease on the underside of the heat sink. There was also
grease all around the chip on its carrier board.

I wiped off the heat sink and the excess around the chip on its board. I
applied a modest amount of grease to the chip and re-installed the heat
sink. Then, confident that I had solved the problem, I reinstalled the
side of the case. The machine has been powered up for about 20 minutes
and hasn't complained. Of course, the machine isn't doing much right
now, but that's for the next thread.

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Regards,