[PLUG] Modifying LC_TIME

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 25 01:43:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> Oddly enough... I remembered that the Evolution email client had a setting
> to change the starting day of the week.  My starting day of the week is
> set to Monday from when I was back in Australia.

Daniel,

   The fellow in the UK uses Gnome and Evolution, too.

> What I've gained from this observation is that LC_TIME locale settings
> might not be tied into either GTK/GNOME or visa versa, nor is Evolution's
> week start option tied into anything else.  Anyone else shed some
> additional light into this (especially how my week start in GNOME's
> calendar widget got to be Saturday)?

   That's exactly what he found.

   The problem is GTK+2 related, and was created somewhere between 2.6.10 and
2.8.12. Others experienced the same problem, but I don't recall the
distributions they used. The issue affects all GTK+2 applications. I got
caught when I had to upgrade the library as part of installing freerock
gnome just so I can run gnucash. I stumble on dates because jpilot was where
I first experienced the difference and I refer to its calendar frequently
during the day.

   I've written to the gsb-freerock mail list (that's the Gnome Slackware
Build), and a fellow in Italy wrote that he'd look into the problem. From
what I read on that mail list, the GTK+2-2.10.x series is broken even worse.

   So, mate, if ya' got some ideas of how to manipulate -- safely -- the
LC_Time component of locale, please pass them on.

Thanks,