[PLUG] Modifying LC_TIME

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 25 03:23:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> The way to fix the problem is simply to define the LANG and/or LC_TIME
> variables in a system startup script that is high up in the execution
> chain, preferably somewhere like the rc.sysinit file(? - there may be
> better places to put the LANG info): LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

   Great sleuthing, Daniel!

> What day of the week has the GNOME calendar been starting for you?

   Monday. I see it in gnucash, xfce, jpilot, and wxPython apps.

> I found out that I could use a normal locale and still get sorting working
> properly by setting the LC_COLLATE variable to "POSIX" after setting the
> locale to what I wanted: export LANG="en_US.UTF-8" export
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"

   Here're the results of running locale:

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

   Only the collation sequence is set for C to avoid the intermixing of
cases.

   And here're the results of 'locale -k LC_TIME':

abday="Sun;Mon;Tue;Wed;Thu;Fri;Sat"
day="Sunday;Monday;Tuesday;Wednesday;Thursday;Friday;Saturday"
abmon="Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec"
mon="January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December"
am_pm="AM;PM"
d_t_fmt="%a %d %b %Y %r %Z"
d_fmt="%m/%d/%Y"
t_fmt="%r"
t_fmt_ampm="%I:%M:%S %p"
era=
era_year=""
era_d_fmt=""
alt_digits=
era_d_t_fmt=""
era_t_fmt=""
time-era-num-entries=0
time-era-entries="S"
week-ndays=7
week-1stday=19971201
week-1stweek=4
first_weekday=1
first_workday=1
cal_direction=1
timezone=""
date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"
time-codeset="ISO-8859-1"

   If I change the week-1stday -- somehow -- to 19971130 then the week will
start on Sunday. Also, I could change the first_workday to =2 and that would
fix the proble, too. But, I don't know how and the little I've read of
localdef warns me away from rash actions.

Many thanks,