[PLUG] I don't like yum...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Sep 24 13:02:51 UTC 2006

Before yum for redhat users, it was just rpm and that was it.

I'm having trouble getting the kernel sources installed to Fedora Core 5
so that I can use vmware-player.  Irritatingly enough, I believe I've
tried to use yum in the past to grab the kernel sources only to give up
when I couldn't figure out how to build an rpm.  Now after using mondo
to backup and restore my system, none of the yum downloaded updates let
alone the kernel sources are showing up.  Trying to yum download kernel,
I get a nothing to do error.  Uge!!!!

Mondo broke selinux and I had to disable it, anyone have a clue as to why?

Is yum intelligent enough to detect that what it thinks it has in the package
cache isn't really there?  Is there any alternative to downloading Fedora
Core updates?  I want to flick messing with online updates for Fedora all
together, but the distro never seems to ship ready to do a whole lot without
any updates applied.  Between download corruption and having Fedora's own idea
of what has been downloaded corrupt, yum seems like a huge headache.

A problem with the yum philosophy, I want to maintain multiple Fedora
Core 5 installations and have both the source packages and binary
packages for all applied updates maintained on a centralized server.
Yum seems to keep track of what updating has been done directly on
the machine it is maintaining.  This obviously will duplicate work
and it isn't very corruption resistant.  If FC5 hosta and hostb need
to pull down the same update to a site A through gateway foo, why can't
one of them download the update to foo and then both of them share a
copy?  Is it possible to mirror the Fedora Core 5 repository in
it's entirety?  If I drop $50 into a Fedora Core 5 Bible, I want to
have a local copy of all the updates etc. when Fedora Core 6 comes out.
I've tried CentOS, it hasn't worked well for me.  Slackware seems even
worse about falling behind and update issues.

I wish the Fedora Core Bible came in an electronic format that is viewable
using the free commonly installed tools available in Linux.  I don't have
a lot of bookspace where I don't want to fill what I do have with one
Fedora Bible after another.  Fedora turns over so fast and the current
repository will disappear shortly.  The redhat download servers in
contrast go all the down to the 1.0 release.  I know that bandwidth is
becoming a problem.  If Redhat hadn't thrown out 90% of it's potential
paying customer base by trying to become in name a large customers only
supporter, redhat might be able to afford more bandwidth.

Michael C. Robinson