[PLUG] I don't like yum...

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:53:40 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, MJang wrote:
> > You might try apt, downloadable from atrpms.net. When I've usapted it in
> > the past, it's been faster and more reliable than yum, despite the
> > improvements they've made.
>
> Apt does not deal with multiple architicture systems correctly.  (i.e.
> x86_64.)

There have been some recent improvements.  The newer versions at
http://apt-rpm.org/ support multilib.  They also support the metadata
format used by yum.

> What does apt do that yum does not?  I have found them fairly similar.

Apt is smarter about not installing broken packages.  Yum will abort
the whole update if there is a conflict instead of installing the
packages which can be installed.  Apt used to be faster but recent
versions of rpm have improved the performance.  On the other hand, I
find the yum interface much easier and more complete. And the python
library is getting used in the installer and various graphical tools.

 - Ian