[PLUG] I don't like yum...

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Sep 25 20:05:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Ian Burrell wrote:

> On 9/25/06, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, MJang wrote:
>> > You might try apt, downloadable from atrpms.net. When I've usapted it in
>> > the past, it's been faster and more reliable than yum, despite the
>> > improvements they've made.
>>
>> Apt does not deal with multiple architicture systems correctly.  (i.e.
>> x86_64.)
>>

> There have been some recent improvements.  The newer versions at
> http://apt-rpm.org/ support multilib.  They also support the metadata
> format used by yum.

Good. About time.

>> What does apt do that yum does not?  I have found them fairly similar.
>>

> Apt is smarter about not installing broken packages.  Yum will abort
> the whole update if there is a conflict instead of installing the
> packages which can be installed.

This has been suggested to the yum maintainer and he refuses to do it.
Pisses me off too.  (I tend to install from the devel tree and someone
seems to forget something.)

Yum also has a problem when you update partial (By saying something like
"yum update gnome*") of not getting all the required li=braries on
multi-architecture systems.  (It pulls in the library for x86_64, but not
the i386 library. That causes it to fail.)

> Apt used to be faster but recent
> versions of rpm have improved the performance.

The last time I used apt through synaptic, it was dog slow.  Might have
just been synaptic though.

>On the other hand, I
> find the yum interface much easier and more complete. And the python
> library is getting used in the installer and various graphical tools.

Yumex has been getting better.  I like it better than puppy.  It still has
a few weirdnesses in the interface, but it is nice for installing
packages.

I will have to see if apt has been updated in Fedora.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink