[PLUG] scriptable web client for HTTPS POST of file ... that is NOT curl

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Sep 25 21:36:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 14:21 -0700, Chris Dawson wrote:
> I need to write a script that will hit a server, retrieve a cookie,
> then send the cookie back with a request to POST a file, all over SSL.
>  Does anyone know if there exists anything other than curl to do this?
>  Curl works great, but this needs to run on an older RedHat 7.3
> install where curl is not up to date.  I was hoping links/lynx/w3m
> would be scriptable in this way, but so far I have not figured out
> how.  I suppose I could write a perl script, but this seems
> complicated with all the requirements.  Any thoughts?

As someone who's rewriting a bunch of scripts that used curl and
wrappers around ftp/sftp, I'll tell you that doing it in a scripting
language will be much simpler in the end--7.3 should have LWP (although
you might have to hunt to find a Crypt::SSLeay module to implement
HTTPS).

Hm, I actually seem to have (old and obviously unmaintained) RPMs of
perl-libwww-perl and perl-IO-Socket-SSL (which I think LWP can use in
addition to Crypt::SSLeay): http://ftp.nakedape.cc/nakedape/rh73/rpm/

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>