[PLUG] large email list 100K - 1 million

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Sep 26 03:36:40 UTC 2006

As an announcement list, it does not need most of the list management
stuff.

There is a perl package called batch-mailer which can do the back end
of this.

With a web interface to a list membership, and the back end it can
be doing the 100,000 level. But the problem will be the mail errors
over time. and the grooming of bad mail addresses out of the list.

Josh Orchard <josh at emediatedesigns.com> writes:

 % Auke Kok wrote:
 % > Josh Orchard wrote:
 % >> Hello all,
 % >>
 % >> I was recently asked to give an opinion about what email list would
 % >> handle large mailings.  They were purposing 100K to 1 Million people
 % >> on the list.  It would be an announcement list.  I have used Mailman
 % >> with great results but only into the small thousands.  I've searched
 % >> around but have yet to find anything that compares different mailing
 % >> list like Mailman/PHPList/Majordomo or any other mailing list.
 % >> So,  is there anyone on the list who could point me towards a
 % >> comparison or give their opinions on which one would be a good
 % >> mailing list to handle this capacity?
 % >
 % > for anything of this size, and assuming that your list will most
 % > likely be 1-way directed traffic only, I would not use a ML manager at
 % > all but setup a webfrontend for subscribing/unsubscribing connected to
 % > something like mysql, and just run a script to post announcements.
 % >
 % > I doubt that you want to archive all the returning traffic :)
 % >
 % > Cheers,
 % >
 % > Auke
 % >
 % Good thought.  I'll consider that.  Thanks.
 % PLUG mailing list
 % PLUG at lists.pdxlinux.org