[PLUG] GRUB Error 17

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 17:02:09 UTC 2006

I feel I must be getting closer to the solution. The machine ran all
night in SuSE rescue mode without giving me the overheating alarm.

I logged in as root and did a bit of wandering around. In addition to
the info from grub, fdisk, and BIOS I posted last night here's one more
thing I found in /proc/partitions:

major minor  #blocks  name

   7     0      24664 loop0
   7     1      24664 loop1
   3     0   58615704 hda
   3     1    1598436 hda1
   3     2   20972857 hda2
   3     3   36041827 hda3

Also, when I looked at the geometry with grub it reported:
grub> geometry (hd0)
drive 0x80: C/H/S = 65535/16/63, The number of sectors = 117231408, /dev/hda
   Partition num:0,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
   Partition num:1,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
   Partition num:2,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83

The unknown filesystem type should be the swap partition, based on my
recollection of what the SuSE installation reported before it created
the partitions.

Does this help narrow the focus of where I should be looking?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens