[PLUG] Ubuntu and Comcast

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 05:31:16 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> Once, after a lengthy bout with a string of techs, a tech told me I
> could be on ANY windows box, anywhere; it did not have to be connected
> to the modem in any way.  You could call them from elsewhere to do your
> setup.
>
> The setup process involves setting your browser proxy settings to get
> onto their setup network.  I'm willing to bet they could do it in
> Mozilla/Linux, but choose not to.

  I managed to get a 2nd level tech to give me the direct URL to the
Comcast registration page a couple years ago.  The only reason it
"needed" Windows was because of IE extensions used to load spyware
from the installation CD.  The actual registration page was plain'ol
HTML.  There was a redirect page with some Javascript in the middle of
the registration that hid the final URL.

  I declined to install their spyware.  They finally gave me the URL
after I pitched enough of a fit.  I eventually had to edit the
registry to clean out their spyware install tool.

Steve D...

--
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned
my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,