Not Resolved: [PLUG] Newly assembled machine overheating

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 28 16:22:11 UTC 2006

Galen Seitz wrote:

>I really doubt that your cpu is overheating.  If I were you, I'd consider
>disabling the alarm and monitoring the cpu temperature via the typical
>linux mechanisms.

A few days ago I went to the Soyo web site and filled out a help
request. Yesterday, I received this response:

My comments to them:

ProblemDescription: After the system has been powered up for a few
minutes I get a series of beeps, about 1 second on, one second off. I
thought this was the ABR alarm, but the CPU temperature is only 47 deg
C. The speed of CPUFAN1 is varying between 2766 RPM and 2812 RPM.

Their response:

The CPU fan speed should be between 3500-6500 RPM's

Thank you for your understanding and patronage!

I recall seeing a photo of the motherboard with a much smaller fan on it. I wonder if the speed my fan is turning is moving the same volume of air as the smaller fan at the higher speed. (This is one area I've actually had some experience - fans - although it was with fans that ventilate buildings, not chips! I understand that a smaller fan at a higher velocity can move the same amount of air as a larger fan at a lower velocity.) Anyway, since the reported temperature of the chip is well within the save operating range, I've followed your advice and turned off the variable speed feature thus:

The first thing I did this morning was to power up the box, enter the BIOS, turn off FOC (Fan-Off Control). Then I powered the box down, moved the fan wires to CPUFAN2, powered the box back up and booted the SuSE install CD in rescue mode. So far, so good.

I'll now switch back to the Grub error 17 thread.

>Another thing you might consider is upgrading the
>BIOS to the latest version.  Perhaps this issue has been fixed by a
>later release.

I guess I'd better find a version number the next time I reset the box
and compare it with what they have on their web site.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens