[PLUG] mangle rule to foil idiot ISPs

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Thu Sep 28 20:28:16 UTC 2006

alan wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Daniel Hedlund wrote:
>
>> Carla Schroder wrote:
>>> The idea is to foil idiot ISPs who don't want users sharing their
>>> Internet connections by setting all TTLs to the same value. Should
>>> be a felony, having your own LAN.
>>
>> Do the ISPs really care?  They have rules, but do they really care?
>
> When they can charge you $5 for each additional computer without
> providing any additional service?  Yes, they do.

Who does that?

When I was with EarthLink (in NYC), they introduced their "home
networking package," which was basically them charging you an extra
$10/month to support your home network.  But it was really for support
and hardware only ... you could still do your own set-up without having
to pay extra.  The only irritation was that if you called in to report a
problem, they insisted that your computer be connected directly to the
modem -- if you were connected via a router (one they didn't supply),
they wouldn't help.  Of course, their "help" always began, "Click on the
Start Menu, ...".

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson