[PLUG] VMWARE

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Fri Sep 29 19:12:05 UTC 2006

alan wrote:
> You need to get the patched version of the vmware kernel modules.
> Search for "vmware-tools-any-update1".

Isn't that supposed to be the 'vmware-any-any' patch?  I believe it
fixes a lot of problems with VMWare on newer Linux distros.  It's a good
idea to apply this patch regardless of whether you need it or not; at a
minimum I think it fixes some memory issues and problems with hanging
when a computer is shut down.
http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/

About the original poster's issue with the address space size, there is
the possibility that your package manager has a newer kernel available
than the one you are running.  Package managers tend to download kernel
headers for the newest kernel, which might not be the same version as
what you're running.  If you've upgraded your kernel at some point and
not sure that you are running the latest version, you could just try
restarting as well.  Yes, there are more complex ways of finding out,
but restarting is probably the easiest if the newest kernel is always
loaded by default.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org