[PLUG] Re: Helo policy...

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Apr 4 01:58:40 UTC 2007

>>>>> "plug" == plug 0 <plug_0 at robinson-west.com> writes:

plug> Okay, but a lot of people seem to think that helo checking is futile and
plug> more trouble than it's worth.  I run a postfix relay on my firewall
plug> perimeter where I wonder what the best practice is in this day and age.
plug> I asked Opus and got a completely worthless answer back of, "you can do
plug> whatever you want."  By domain in this excerpt, there is not enough
plug> context to know what is being referred to specifically.  Is it a DNS
plug> domain name or could it be some other kind?  How about rejecting a helo
plug> of localhost, friend, of the domain name of my own server?

I tried to be strict about HELO, and got too many false positives for spam.

The only thing I check for now for rejecting are people trying to say they are
me.  "HELO stonehenge.com" - I don't think so!  I also reject my own IP
address.