[PLUG] remote X diagnostics

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:18:15 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> Except for one.  I launch the X based program from it, nhiConsole, and the program
> runs and reports to the terminal window that soon the X session will start.  Then
> it doesn't.  PS shows the program running, I'm just not having the session pop up
> on my PC.  I double, triple check the DISPLAY environment variable on the client
> computer and it's fine.

Can you run xclock correctly on that machine? How are you connecting
to that host? Is your coworker using nhiConsole off the same server,
and using the same remote connection method? (iirc, ssh servers have
to be configured to do X redirection, if that's what you're doing --
it could be setup incorrectly on that host, or you may have a personal
setting in your home dir on that machine that disables X
redirection--I'm not sure that last thing is possible, but it might
be.)

If all that checks out, nhiConsole may be a script that tries to do
something smart and set a dynamic DISPLAY variable, or --DISPLAY param
based on your environment.  If this is buggy it could be returning the
wrong display.

This is almost certainly *not* the problem, but the app _is_ called
nhiConsole -- is there a nhiGui that may be more reliable?

--Rogan