[PLUG] Linux on HP Slimline s7700n; Fry's returns

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:42:04 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, eehouse.org <eehouse at eehouse.org> wrote:
> I've been looking for a year for a desktop machine that meets all my
> criteria: small and quiet; 64-bit; supports virualization; dual core.
> Looking a lot.  I haven't found any vendor, or retailer, that can tell
> me if their system supports Linux.  I can't find blogs or newsgroups
> where anybody discusses having tried running Linux on any of these
> systems.  I can't even find that information on motherboards I want to
> buy, from high-end retailers.  They don't actually stock any of this
> stuff, and so they don't know any more about it (Linux support, or
> even if the bios enables VMX) than I can get from the manu's website.

FWIW, Dell has mailing lists for Linux users:

They also seem to understand the need for hardware to have drivers in
the mainline kernel:
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx

> (I think Dell's smallest "Optiplex 745" fills the bill, but it's $400
> more than the HP, so the HP was worth a try.)

I've heard it's fine in FC6/RHEL5. I guess if you're not willing to
pay for what you want, you better want what you're willing to pay for.
Apologies to Stephen Stills.

--
Dan