[PLUG] Linux on HP Slimline s7700n; Fry's returns

Sean Whitney sean.whitney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:35:55 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 10:20 -0700, Sean Whitney wrote:
>
>> Dunno about all your requirements, but I bought one of these several
>> months ago
>>
>> http://www.linuxtechtoys.com/ltt/product_info.php/cPath/24_27/products_id/237
>>
>> To use as a mythtv box and it's been great, replaced red hat with
>> debian, and it's very, very quiet and does 64bit.  There are processor
>> upgrades available, but as to dual core or VMX, idunno....  Did I
>> mention it's quite.....
>>

> Quite what? :)
>
> Wow, those look pretty nice.  Maybe if I can get my @#%#$ remote to work
> and get the system accepted into the household, this would be a good
> upgrade from the Frankenstein's monster I've got not.  What does
> your /proc/cpuinfo say?  Does it have 'vt'?
>
> Wil

Err, humph...

Uh yeah, quiet, it's quiet! I was in the same boat as you with a older
not so nice system.  It had a hauppauge card that I got the remote
working fine.  I moved it into the garage and connected it up to cable
and now it works as a seamless secondary server.  This HTPC box comes
with a working serial IR port built into the front.  I set it up to work
with the hauppauge remote that I already had working and it's worked
ever sense.

I have a Sejin IR keyboard that I'd really like to get working with the
IR port, but I'm not patient enough to go through and map every key and
combination key stroke that would be necessary.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 79
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1803.792
cache size      : 128 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 3610.74
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

Although I never always trust these numbers because it does some cpu
frequency changes when it needs to....  With this CPU I can watch a xvid
avi file and record a movie all at the same time....  I've never had any
type of performance hiccup with this setup.

BTW, what is 'vt'?  Other, than virtual terminal.....

Sean