[PLUG] Vista and GNU compilers

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 20:00:12 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> Not Linux, but some of us are working with cross-platform apps.
>
> http://www.trnicely.net/misc/vista.html
>
> Apparently, Vista will not run apps compiled with GCC which use more
> than 32MB of data.  Yikes!

"....Executable images created for the DOS/Wintel environment, using
the GNU GCC compilers and language standards (but not linking to the
Win32 API), are subject to failure ...."

How useful is a windows-hosted program that doesn't link to the Win32
API? (This is a serious question... I've only done windows programming
with VM languages like java and c#, so I really don't know.)  It seems
like some aspect of the Win32 API would be needed for just about any
I/O.

--Rogan