[PLUG] SOL/IPMI

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 04:42:04 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
> My little 16-port serial terminal is nearing capacity. I'm willing to
> get another one, but I thought I'd investigate the Serial-over-LAN
> stuff included with IPMIv2.0.
>
> Anyone used it? Battle scars? Successes? Hints?

We are just getting started using this but it is typically a system
hardware support
option.  There is a BMC which can be included on the board or may be part of the
card cage that the boards plug into.

If the hardware you already have doesn't support it then it is not
worth the effort unless
you are planning major upgrades.

This is mainly for racks of headless systems.  We have an six slot
ATCA chassis that
has two shelf managers which support IPMI 1.5 with some form of serial
re-direct but
does not support Serial over LAN.

Here is a link I googled a few minutes ago.
http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian.html