[PLUG] Routers

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 17:09:11 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Mel Andres <mel97215 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > My router is dying. It's a Linksys 10/100 without a firewall. For a
> > > replacement I'd like gigabit and a firewall. I just got back from Fry's
> > > where I bought a Linksys RVS400 for $129 that turned out to be DOA.
> > > Since my dying router is also Linksys I am currently not impressed with
> > > Linksys quality. Any other suggestions? Or might I get a 10/100 cheap at
> > > Free Geek to tide me over for a while? Would Free Geek have such a
> > > thing?
> > >
> > I found support from Linksys to be problematic. They are tied to a
> > windows based script, and insist on using the GUI.
> > After three iterations, of warranty based support calls, I bought a
> > Belkin. Not necessarily cheap, but been happier ever since.
> >
> >   Mel
>
> I've  had both Linksys and Belkin's at points in time and I prefer the
> Belkin as well. I'm running a Linksys right now running customer firmware
> from here http://www.sveasoft.com/ and its worked out pretty well.

A WRT54GL with the wireless turned off and reloaded with openwrt or
DD-WRT would work well.  I have a WRT54G(v5) w/ the micro version of
DD-WRT and it works well.  No
problems, even with the wireless.

I also have had good experince with Netgear as routers but not
wireless AP's.  The Netgears have been solid for me (2.5 years of no
re-boots except when the
DSL itself went out and I had to troubleshoot it).