[PLUG] Special purpose email use...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Tue Apr 10 10:51:58 UTC 2007

Here is a set of procmail recipes I've developed:

:0:
* !^Subject: router hostname
/dev/null

:0:

:0:

:0:
/dev/null

I'm trying to use procmail to set up a filter that will only
accept email to a specific alias that has a specific subject
from specific sources.  How do my recipes look so far?

I want to require that the body contain a single string that is
a fully qualified domain name, but I don't think procmail can
check that for me.

I'm trying to experiment with sending messages between servers
via email that ultimately should be acted on in an automated
way.  I'm looking at use of my local email system as a possible
alternative to using EasyTCP for specialized intraserver
communication.  The smtp protocol is well defined, it's capable
of retrying if the first attempt to send a message fails,
etcetera.

One application I'm considering is special email addresses
on a backup email server that it only accept messages to from the
primary email server.  The primary and backup server could synchronise:
grey lists, white lists, etcetera through this special, not available
to the public, email address.  Another thought of mine is simply
keeping track of whether or not my partner smtp server is alive
so that I can soft reject messages for it when it is still up
and running.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to comment procmail files?

In general these days, is the standard across the Net to interpret
multiple MX records as a load balancing mechanism instead of as a
linear list by weight of servers to try in a specific order?

Michael Robinson