Resolved: [PLUG] Upgrading a video driver (nVidia on SuSE 10.1)

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 23:41:17 UTC 2007

alan wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>> What do I need to save when I upgrade a video driver...

> You are going to have problems with the current 97xx drivers.  (It will
> probably error out and claim that chipset is no longer supported.)  Look
> in nvidia's software archive for the last of the 96xx series driver for
> your architecture.

Thanks for the warning. I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run,
which appears to be that latest 96xx version.

I went out on the openSuSE forum and found detailed instructions for
installing the driver on a SuSE system. It worked as advertised.

What started all this was trying to install and run Google Earth. They
now have a Linux version. I got a bunch of error messages when I tried
to run it. Their help site said it was probably related to the video
driver. Naturally, the first thing I tried after installing the new
driver was Google Earth. It works great, and looks better on this system
than the version I run on my XP laptop.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens