[PLUG] Strange X problem

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 17:03:43 UTC 2007

alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote: On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Robert Kopp wrote:

> The two distros I have used most recently are SuSE 10.0 and 10.2. These installations have been partitioned as / and /home.
>
> I create non-root accounts on Linux, which of course is a recommended practice. Suddenly it becomes impossible to obtain an X session with a non-root account, but if a different non-root account is created, it will work for awhile before the same thing happens. It is always possible to obtain an X session with a root login, but then you're no more secure than you would be with Windows. As a matter of fact, that's what I'm doing right now (logged in as root).
>
> Unless I get some insight into why this happens, I'm going to use a different distro. Fedora comes to mind, but it has frightening reviews:
>
> http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/57
>
> No, probably Debian. But I'm curious as to why the problem I mentioned above is SuSE-specific, seemingly.

What video card are you using?

I am currently using the Geforce FX5500. However, when I experienced it on SuSE 10.0, I was using the Radeon 9250. (Perhaps I should check the error messages when X fails to launch as a non-root user; it refers to xorg.conf. This never happens as root.)

Debian 4.0 was released today.

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/