[PLUG] Routers again <sigh>

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 01:24:09 UTC 2007

To recap old history, my Linksys router died. I replaced it with a
D-Link from Free Geek. The Linksys had five ports on the back, one
labeled Modem, and the others numbered 1-4. The new D-Link is the same,
except that the one marked Modem on the Linksys is marked WAN on the
D-Link. The cable modem is in the WAN port on the new D-Link. There is
also a cable going from 1 on the router to a separate 8-port switch.
Cables from the switch go to my three computers and two laser
printers. This is also how my Linksys was cabled, and everything always
worked.

Now, with the new D-Link all three computers can go to the internet
without a problem. But none of the computers can talk to either laser
printer.

The laser printers are 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.24. When I turn each
one on the corresponding light on the front of the switch lights up. So
the wiring is still connected.

If I try to print to either one the print job just sits in the queue in
CUPS. Ditto for trying to print a test page. If I ping the printers
from the Edgy laptop I get:

jjj at Devil5:~$ ping 192.168.1.4
>From 192.168.1.3 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

>From the Fedora 7 test2 desktop I get

[jjj at localhost -]$ ping 192.168.1.4
	and then the ping command just hangs

While testing I have Firestarter on the laptop and the firewall and
SELinux on the Fedora desktop all disabled.

My first question is, what does this line mean?

>From 192.168.1.3 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

And consider that 192.168.1.3 is the Windows 2000 desktop. It is turned
off, as it usually is. However, with the cable connecting its ethernet
card to the switch plugged in, the light on the switch is on. How can
that be if the computer is turned off? And I can ping the Windows
deslktop  from the Ubuntu laptop and get a response, even if the
Windows desktop is turned off, but from the Fedora 7 desktop the ping
just hangs.

wired. With the Linksys any computer could print to either printer
whether it was the only computer turned on or if all the computers were
running. Now nothing can talk to the printers. The only thing that is
different in the mix is the D-Link router. Therefore, that is where the
problem must lie. But what could it be?