[PLUG] Routers again <sigh>

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:48:04 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> To recap old history, my Linksys router died. I replaced it with a
> D-Link from Free Geek. The Linksys had five ports on the back, one
> labeled Modem, and the others numbered 1-4. The new D-Link is the same,
> except that the one marked Modem on the Linksys is marked WAN on the
> D-Link. The cable modem is in the WAN port on the new D-Link. There is
> also a cable going from 1 on the router to a separate 8-port switch.
> Cables from the switch go to my three computers and two laser
> printers. This is also how my Linksys was cabled, and everything always
> worked.
>
> Now, with the new D-Link all three computers can go to the internet
> without a problem. But none of the computers can talk to either laser
> printer.
>
> The laser printers are 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.24. When I turn each
> one on the corresponding light on the front of the switch lights up. So
> the wiring is still connected.
>
> If I try to print to either one the print job just sits in the queue in
> CUPS. Ditto for trying to print a test page. If I ping the printers
> from the Edgy laptop I get:
>
> jjj at Devil5:~$ ping 192.168.1.4
> PING 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >From 192.168.1.3 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
>
> >From the Fedora 7 test2 desktop I get
>
> [jjj at localhost -]$ ping 192.168.1.4
> PING 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
>         and then the ping command just hangs
>
> While testing I have Firestarter on the laptop and the firewall and
> SELinux on the Fedora desktop all disabled.
>
> My first question is, what does this line mean?
>
> >From 192.168.1.3 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
>
> And consider that 192.168.1.3 is the Windows 2000 desktop. It is turned
> off, as it usually is. However, with the cable connecting its ethernet
> card to the switch plugged in, the light on the switch is on. How can
> that be if the computer is turned off? And I can ping the Windows
> deslktop  from the Ubuntu laptop and get a response, even if the
> Windows desktop is turned off, but from the Fedora 7 desktop the ping
> just hangs.

> wired. With the Linksys any computer could print to either printer
> whether it was the only computer turned on or if all the computers were
> running. Now nothing can talk to the printers. The only thing that is
> different in the mix is the D-Link router. Therefore, that is where the
> problem must lie. But what could it be?

The computer with the nic connection on when the computer is off has remote
power on enabled in the BIOS to allow remote admin update.  This is a
feature that
most motherboards have now.

Were the printers configured for DHCP?  The new router might have
re-assigned them.
Have you checked the router page for known hosts/MACs?
Can you ping the other computers?
Have you tried
ping -b 192.168.1.0 from one of your Linux boxes?