[PLUG] Copying CD/DVD with two drives

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 00:48:16 UTC 2007

My new Fedora 7 test3 amd64 desktop has two identical LG DVD+-RW dual
layer drives. I did this deliberately thinking that it would be more
efficient when copying CDs and DVDs. But I am having a terrible time.
K3b recognizes both drives, but is unwilling to copy from one and write
to the other at the same time. It insists that it must write to the
same drive that it copies from, so it must copy to the hard drive,
eject the first media, wait for a new blank disk to be inserted, then
write to the new blank disk. If this is the best Linux software can
accomplish, then the $50 spent on the second drive was wasted.

Gnomebaker is even worse. It can see only /dev/scd0. It is unaware
that /dev/scd1 exists.

I need software that can copy from one directly to the other. Does such
exist for Linux? Or is there a way to make K3b or Gnomebaker wake up
and realize that it is possible to copy a CD or DVD without first
writing it to the hard disk?