[PLUG] mounting confusion

Michael M. mcubed at slashmail.org
Sat Apr 14 16:07:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 19:14 -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> Michael M. wrote:
> >> Can you post the /etc/fstabs from both?
> >
> > Sure ~
> >
> > Etch:
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> <snip>
> >
> > Arch:
> > #
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information
> <snip>
>
> Nothing obviously wrong.  What happens if you comment out the fstab
> lines from the other distro?

I tried that suggestion on my Arch Linux fstab, and the Debian
partitions were no longer mounted.  But in the course of doing that, I
also deleted an extra directory entry under /mnt -- something I had
created some time ago, didn't use anymore, and had forgotten about.  It
wasn't listed in either fstab and AFAIK wasn't being mounted in either
OS.  When I booted back into Debian, the Arch partitions were no longer
mounted, even though I had not commented them out of the Etch fstab.
Then I put the entries back into my Arch fstab and rebooted it.  The
Etch partitions were no longer mounted.  Go figure.

This all started a few days ago, after I resized the partitions on sda1,
using the gParted Live-CD.  That's all I did -- resize.  I didn't edit
the fstabs or change the mount options.  I wonder if the presence of an
unmounted, unlisted directory under /mnt somehow confused HAL or 'mount'
or something.

Anyway, it works like I want it to now.  Thanks for the help.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions