[PLUG] incoming fax receiving services

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Apr 19 14:56:09 UTC 2007

For the last 15 years, I have maintained an incoming fax/modem line.
I get only about 5 legitimate faxes a year now (almost none are local),
and about 10 spam faxes a week.  I no longer use the modem for anything.
Time to ditch the fax line and save some money.

There are online services that will receive faxes;  some are $10/mo,
some are free.  They email TIFFs or sometimes a special format.  They
usually receive on a dedicated number.  Any suggestions for a Linux
friendly, open format service?

Also, I don't think the senders would object to dialing into an
extension, if the sending fax machine permits it.  Is this feasable?
An extension would weed out most of the spam faxes, and might save
money for the receiving service.  Ideas?

Keith