[PLUG] email failure message Suse/Evolution

tkubaska at charter.net tkubaska at charter.net
Fri Apr 20 02:56:47 UTC 2007

Has anyone seen something like this ...

I just installed Suse 10.2. I configured Evolution just like I had with Ubuntu. Mail for a while did not work. I fussed, changed nothing really and then it started to work but I alwasy got this error message.

"RCPT TO <my_comcast_address> failed. Requested action not taken. mailbox unavailable"

I'd get a window popup with that message three time (one popup; the message was repeated in it three times. The mail still worked and was sent.

Now, the popup does not appear. Mail appears to be working. I called comcast twice but of course had to be uising windows and Outlook Express on another machine when I called. Outlook Express worked fine. Comcast will not talk to me if I mention I am using Linux or Evolution of even Outlook. It must be Outlook Express.

But honestly I made no config changes between when it worked and when it didn't. I did reboot a few times. But the working was not linked with one reboot. I don't see why multiple reboots would make mail start working.

So much of what I said here sounds like nonsense (to me too). My question is has anyone seen that error message I quoted above and if so, what does it mean.

Thanks.
 -Ted