[PLUG] incoming fax receiving services

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Apr 20 05:23:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 01:03:23PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> MaxEmail Lite is $24/year plus $10 signup for up to 500 inbound pages
> per month.  Pages can be emailed as PDFs or TIFFs, and can be stored on
> their server and retrieved with SSL.  They claim to never sell their
> list to spammers, and actively fight it with some measures to detect
> likely junk faxes.  That sounds good, I will learn more ...

I tried out the MaxEmail demo, and it works fine, so I signed up.
The default process receives faxes at a dedicated phone number in
the Chicago suburbs (local or toll-free numbers available for an
additional fee) and sents them as PDFs to the email addresses
associated with the account (up to five).  I changed the service
to just send notifications, storing the fax messages on their
server (accessable as PDFs with any SSL-secured web browser).
Someday I will set up procmail so emails from MaxEmail will kick
off a secure wget or something similar.

The MaxEmail web interface is nonintuitive.  A redesign would help,
and thumbnails for the stored faxes would be nice.  But for $2/month,
I can jump through a hoop or two.

BTW, I also learned today that MyFax, another highly recommended (??)
alternative, is owned by Protus, one of the biggest fax spammers in
North America, broadcasting spam into the US from Ontario.  Now that
I am signed up with MaxEmail, I will probably learn something nasty
about MaxEmail, sigh.

Keith