[PLUG] OT: Transferring image of Windows system from one computer to another

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Apr 23 00:45:34 UTC 2007

Robert Jeffrey Miesen wrote:
> My question
> is: is Windows (XP) smart enough to not croak and die if it finds itself
> running on another computer?

Unless it's the same hardware, it'll croak. First thing you'll have to
do is install all the drivers for any hardware that's different. Video
card, hard disk controller, ACPI, etc... You'll want to have the drivers
before you start, or another computer than you can download them on, as
most likely the network won't work either.
>     If not, then what would an EASY way to figure out what stuff is
> installed on his current system so I can manually do the honors (when I
> say easy, I mean something along the lines of running 'apt-get
> --get-selections > someFile' on a Debian-based system)?

You could give the programs and settings transfer wizard a try. Go to
Start>Help and search for that.

Russ