[PLUG] OT: Transferring image of Windows system from one computerto another

William A Morita wamorita at hevanet.com
Mon Apr 23 01:45:26 UTC 2007

Jeff,

My understanding of XP is that it will only tolerate a limited amount of HW
changes.
Putting the disk in to a new system will likely have it complaining.
You might be able to call the MS activation folks for a solution at that
point.

I strongly suggest that you download and run the Belarc Advisor
This will scan the entire HW and SW for the XP system and give you a listing
of:
	Hardware present
	Software present (including product keys) and MS updates.
I use this to document (hard copy) all of my Windows based systems.

If you are forced into loading a new copy of XP,
it would be best to apply all the current patches BEFORE connecting to the
internet.
How to do that?
I suggest that you create your own service pack.  Download the DIY Service
pack (assumes SP2)
http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/offlineupdate/
Download version 3.04

Instructions in English found at
http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/80682
[Note: the download pointer from this page does version 3.02 which has a
problem.]

You should then be able to burn the .iso file(s) CD or DVD with all the MS
patches.
The CD/DVD should autostart into a process that will apply the patches.
This process will go through several reboots.

Then you should have a fully patch XP prior to plugging into the internet.
[Note: this process also works for W2K which will migrate to a new system
with some fiddling]

Hope this helps

- Bill Morita
wamorita at hevanet.com