[PLUG] Borked Edgy > Feisty Upgrade

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:58:56 UTC 2007

I had a broken feisty upgrde due to my computer hanging in the middle of it
(I have a hardware gremlin somewhere on this box) which I was able to fix
via the bootcd / chroot trick. One thing to be aware of is that you need to
bind mount /dev /and /proc from the running system inside your chroot or
else a large number of package configurations will fail. Once I was in there
I ran "dpkg --configure -a" a few times in a row until it stopped looking
like it was working, and then I did an "aptitude upgrade" followed by an
"aptitude dist-upgrade". As I recall there was also a specific package I had
to explicitly either remove/install/ or configure because it was blocking
the dep finding algorithm in aptitude. Anyway,  I've found that process to
be a bit more stable than jumping right into the -dist. "upgrade" seems to
be less agreessive with what it updates, making the process shorter, and
hitting only core components. Once that is happy I move on with the dist- to
get everything else.

Hope this helps!

--
-Regards-