[PLUG] Borked Edgy > Feisty Upgrade

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:53:58 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> However, I am unfamiliar with how to "bind mount /dev /and /proc from
> the running system inside your chroot." Reading man mount I find
>
> mount --bind olddir newdir
>
> But I am not sure how to use that command in this case. I think I need
> to get the hda2 installation that I am chrooted into to use the /dev
> and /proc from the live CD, right? So it would be
>
> sudo mount --bind /media/hda2/dev /dev
> sudo mount --bind /media/hda2/proc /proc
>
> Right? But then what happens to the contents of /dev and /proc on the
> live CD?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I forget sometimes that not everyone has lived with
Gentoo for extended periods. As an aside, doing that (living with Gentoo) is
awesome for buffing up your troubleshooting and recovery skills, you have to
muck with a lot of internals that usually are hidden. But I digress...

The syntax I use is:

sudo mount -o bind /dev /media/hda2/dev
sudo mount -o bind /proc /media/hda2/proc

This must be done _before_ chrooting into the installation on your hard
disk. As far as /dev and /proc on the liveCD, they just keep chugging along.
The bind mount just makes them appear in another place, and they provide
enough information to the chrooted installation for it to complete it's
tasks. Some of what will appear there will not be 100% accurate, but it's
accurate enough for our purposes.

Hope this helps you get going!

--
-Regards-