[PLUG] Borked Edgy > Feisty Upgrade

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 21:32:31 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> Omigod it booted!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!!

Congrats! I'm glad it worked.

There are a few glitches yet to run down. Gnome announced that some of
> the gdesklets couldn't be launched. And uname -a says I am running
> 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP. That is wrong -- for one thing this is a
> single-core CPU.

That SMP only means that the kernel is SMP _capable_, not that it thinks
there are multiple procs. The best way to see how many cores linux sees is
"cat /proc/cpuinfo". It will have a group of information for each
"processor" linux sees. Note that on multi-core systems this will refer to
cores and neccesarily discreet processors, and on Hyper-threaded systems,
multiple processors will appear, even though there is only one that is just
pretending...

But more importantly, the new kernel for Feisty is
> 2.6.20-15-generic, so I must have still booted to the old kernel. Maybe
> it's really there and the menu.lst file wasn't updated to show it (it's
> not in the list).

The "correct" way to update grub entries is to run "update-grub" as root.
Note that if you have done much in the way of manual bootloader / kernel
tweaking it may not work perfectly, or at all. However, odds are good that
it will help you out. It actually sounds like you might benefit from
re-installing or reconfiguring grub, as that _should_ get your partition
UIDs in there correctly and should get the auto-magic menu.lst updating
sorted.

> Now I have to go post how to do this on the Ubuntu forums, because
> there are about a hundred posts there about hung upgrades. A thousand
> thanks!!!

My pleasure. I really need to remember to frequent the forums more....

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-