[PLUG] Borked Edgy > Feisty Upgrade (almost fixed)

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:50:10 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> No, that is one thing I am sure of. In Grub-ese hd0 is the first hard
> disk and the partitions are numbered starting with 0. So hda1 would be
> (hd0,0). Trust me -- I am most experienced at fixing this. :(

Gotcha

<snip>

> files, nothing with the word "kernel" in it. My problem is that I don't
> understand what each of these things does. As long as the computer will
> still boot from the Grub menu entry without the headers, images and
> restricted-modules, then I suppose it would keep Synaptic tidy to get
> rid of them I need to study up on what each of these things does.

in Ubuntu-land:

image = kernel
headers = kernel header files (generally only needed for compiling kernel
modules)
restricted-modules = modules that are not part of the mainline kernel and
may have some freedom issues (nvidia, ATI, some wireless, etc...)

<snip>

> I fixed the Synaptic error messages. Once I re-read the error messages
> after a night's sleep I realized that the whole thing was hanging on
> acpid. The others were failing because they depended on acpid. I had
> already tried reinstalling all of them, but that didn't help. This time
> I did a *complete* removal, then reinstalled them. That did it, no more
> error messages.
>
> However, the Exit-Shutdown problem remains, so evidently the acpid
> issue was not part of it. I probably need to reinstall whatever module
> does that. Unfortunately, Alacarte doesn't display the System > Quit
> entry, so I can't just right-click on it to see what package it calls.
> It's not critical, but it's worrisome. Maybe it's part of some deeper
> problem that is going to rise up and bite me in the butt an hour before
> a term paper is due. Computers know when you are desperate.

Hm. Interesting. Perhaps try re-installing "ubuntu-desktop". That is the
meta-package that depends on all of the components of a standard desktop
setup. If there are any packages missing that ought to be in there,
re-installing that should pull them in. Don't have any suggestions beyond
that off the top of my head...

I'll keep poking around until I figure out the Shutdown problem. Thanks
> for the help. :)

My pleasure.

--
-Regards-