[PLUG] Borked Edgy > Feisty Upgrade (almost fixed)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Apr 26 00:34:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:50:10 -0700
"Quentin Hartman" <qhartman at gmail.com> dijo:

> in Ubuntu-land:
>
> image = kernel
> headers = kernel header files (generally only needed for compiling kernel
> modules)
> restricted-modules = modules that are not part of the mainline kernel and
> may have some freedom issues (nvidia, ATI, some wireless, etc...)

OK, then all I need to keep is the image. I just need to be able to
boot to it, just in case. Besides, if I delete the image I know
Synaptic will muck with the menu.lst file again. :(

> > However, the Exit-Shutdown problem remains, so evidently the acpid
> > issue was not part of it. I probably need to reinstall whatever module
> > does that. Unfortunately, Alacarte doesn't display the System > Quit
> > entry, so I can't just right-click on it to see what package it calls.
> > It's not critical, but it's worrisome. Maybe it's part of some deeper
> > problem that is going to rise up and bite me in the butt an hour before
> > a term paper is due. Computers know when you are desperate.

> Hm. Interesting. Perhaps try re-installing "ubuntu-desktop". That is the
> meta-package that depends on all of the components of a standard desktop
> setup. If there are any packages missing that ought to be in there,
> re-installing that should pull them in. Don't have any suggestions beyond
> that off the top of my head...

It fixed itself. Iwas by accident. I was trying to fix OpenOffice.org
by uninstalling, reinstalling, swearing, *completely* uninstalling,
reinstalling, swearing, "locate openoffice," then a lot of "sudo rm"
and "sudo rmdir" in order to get things wiped out in order to start
over clean. Gawd that program puts stuff in places where there aren't
places. I love it, but *damn.*

In the process, to simplify things, I did sudo su, and suddenly the
desktop changed from jjj's desktop to root's desktop. Oops. I finished
the deleting, and then closed the terminal window. But when I tried the
shutdown/logout button it worked! In other words, it was broken only
for me. So I decided to just restart the computer. And when it came
back the shutdown/logout buttons were working normally. So evidently my
acpid stuff fixed it, it just needed the desktop reset to take effect.

Now all I have left is fixing OpenOffice and getting the nVidia drivers
back. I'm sure glad Ubuntu comes out with a new version only every six
months. :)

PS. Check the Ubuntu Installation/Upgrade forum. The electrons are
flying at hyperlightspeed in there.