[PLUG] cacti is fragile

Brent Jones brent at servuhome.net
Thu Apr 26 01:52:02 UTC 2007

Russell Senior wrote:

> Aaron> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:31:56PM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
>>>  I just updated a debian box and it broke cacti.  It seems silly
>>> that it is that fragile.  Can anybody suggest alternatives for
>>> system/traffic monitoring?
>
> Aaron> I usually use nagios.  But can you give any details on the
> Aaron> breakage?
>
> Well, I managed to recover about 80% of it, and it was partly my fault
> as it turns out.  The debian upgrade installed apache2 (cacti had been
> running on apache 1.3).  Also, our cacti was (heh) installed from
> source, so installing the debian cacti package on top busted it
> (causing the /etc/cacti/apache.conf to point to the wrong place).
> Reversing those two errors, it is mostly working again.  However, the
> 20% that is still broken is arguably the most important part, the
> top-level graphs.  All I get is a text-link to a series of graphs at
> various time-scales (those work).  There is some unresolved
> speculation that the mysql upgrade (from v4 -> v5) might be
> responsible.  The thing that led me to upgrade at all was an inability
> to create an interface traffic graph for a new host (all the old ones
> were working), but the rrd creation was failing for some unexplained
> reason.

Russell;
There has been a patch on the Cacti website that resolves the graph
preview display issue.
http://www.cacti.net/download_patches.php

Problems Displaying RRDtool Graph Thumbnails   	 2007/02/02
This patch resolves an issue where Graph Thumbnails do not display
properly due to an empty comment tag.

Apply the patch, and your graph previews should function properly.

Regards;

Brent Jones
brent [at] servuhome [dot] net