[PLUG] Two Strange Problems -- FIXED

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:44:23 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, drew wymore wrote:
>
> > Nope no minor versions ... and from the looks of the changelog updates
> > he's moving away from the BSD style layout he's used since the beginning
> > and going more mainstream sysv ala redhat, debian et al.
>
>    That's too bad. After a couple of weeks getting used to the change when
> moved from RH-7.3 to Slackware-8.0, I found the BSD style init scripts to
> make a lot more sense, be easier to understand, and easier to modify and
> use. Oh, well.
>
> > Someone who's working with Pat has developed a PXE installer and USB
> > installers now though :)
>
>    USB I know, but PXE I don't. What they have to do with installing the
> distribution is beyond my understanding.

Creating a PXE installer instantly gets them the ability to be accepted into
the business market. Consider something like Rack Space, they need to
re-image 1000 machines at once and they have hypothetically chosen to use
Slackware. Now all they need to do in order to quickly and efficiently image
those machines is turn them on and PXE boot, catch a standardized install
image thats automated and they're good to go.

> I think he's tired of being seen as a niche distro.
>
>    Perhaps that perception is due to the lack of advertising, spin, buzz,
> and
> other cliches and efforts. If these don't change, then the perception
> won't,
> either. Init scripts and layouts have nothing to do with the reality of
> "Slackware: The Silent Distribution." Think of it as a tool preferred by
> elitists. :-)

Thats how I've always viewed myself =-p