[PLUG] Two Strange Problems -- FIXED

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 26 23:00:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, drew wymore wrote:

> Creating a PXE installer instantly gets them the ability to be accepted
> into the business market. Consider something like Rack Space, they need to
> re-image 1000 machines at once and they have hypothetically chosen to use
> Slackware. Now all they need to do in order to quickly and efficiently
> image those machines is turn them on and PXE boot, catch a standardized
> install image thats automated and they're good to go.

   A-ha! Similar to Red Hat's cfengine, I guess? (Paul will certainly correct
me if my recollection is hazy.) But, what does this have to do with the init
script style? I don't get it.

> Thats how I've always viewed myself =-p

   :-) I think we're pragmatic, and view the computer as a means to an end,
not an end in itself. At least, that's the way it is for me: I don't make my
living as a SysAdmin, Network Admin, support coolie, or other computer
techie position.

   Thanks for the insight, Drew.