[PLUG] Two Strange Problems -- FIXED

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 00:34:17 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Ken Stephens wrote:
>
> > The PXE boot is a network boot where the system to be built wakes up and
> > gets a default DNS address then interrogates for a PXE server.
>
> Ken,
>
>    This looks like a very useful tool
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Very useful, someone already pointed out you get a DHCP not DNS address
though. I've been involved in using an installer/PXE install environment
where we would install 300-500 machines at a time with using only one single
"golden" image so as soon as they are done installing they are ready to be
put into production.

I can think a practical application as an end user being that you do a clean
install, get everything setup just the way you want and then create an image
of this machine and store it on another machine. Something breaks, you get
exploited, whatever ... simply choose PXE as the first boot device in the
BIOS make sure your other server is setup to serve DHCP and boot up and
you're good to go in minutes instead of spending hours/days/weeks
re-tweaking an install.

Drew-