[PLUG] Bad Controller?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 15:15:02 UTC 2007

Now that I have a convenient way to examine 3.5" hard drives I've taken
the apparently not working 40 GB drive out of my vintage 1995 NEC
machine and found that the drive is working. It's a Seagate ST340810A.
It sounds a little noisy sitting on the desk with no cover on the USB
IDE enclosure, and the word "stalled" shows up when first connecting to
it with Konqueror.

When the drive is installed in the old machine, that machine doesn't see
it. Is it likely the controller is bad, or is the drive failing in a way
that the USB IDE controller can still see it, but the old machine's IDE
interface can't?

(I'm currently copying the contents to another drive.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens